Saturday, August 13, 2005

Broadband Downloading Isn't All That Fast

Well asthma seems to be back in my life. It’s been a long time. I wonder if this is one its sporadic visits or whether its back for good. Its one of those times when you wish you’d listen to your mom when she says, “Do yoga”. But the good thing is, I revel in the regained joy of using an inhaler, which is feel is one of western medicine’s greatest discoveries, along with the simple crocin and some other select panacea.

I’m trying out the tratchenberg (or something like that) speed system of basic mathematics. Has anybody heard of it? It’s a book of shortcut maths, that’s supposed to be really good. But the introduction speaks of the man who invented it…a Russian who was a politically outspoken person, caught up in the Russian revolution, then escaped to germany where his propoganda for peace made him a target for Hitler. He was put in a concentration camp, where he did maths to keep himself sane. When he escaped he compiled his theories into what is now this book.

Maths teachers sure were a lot cooler in those times.

So anyway, I bought the vcd of padosan today, mom wanted to watch it and I haven’t ever. So I hope its good. Also got coffee with kishore, a new collection of his songs. Man sometimes one yearns for the great music of kishore kumar and rd burman and m rafi and asha bhosle and so on. Somehow I feel music was a lot more experimental in those days, even the trends and styles of the stars. Maybe its just me, but today actually sems a lot tamer. There’s no special spark in them at large. But maybe that’s just an inevitable outcome of global village-isation. Whatever they try and do now is just another “been there, done that”. Maybe that’s why we like ar rehman so much, the guy’s so damn fresh all the time. Also shanker-ehsaan-loy and aamir khan and rani mukherjee. Mangal pandey should be good, though reports are that the story is flimsy, but I’m willing to forego that for a raging aamir khan and rani mukherjee’s vari vari number. Also, swades, which they’ll show on the 15th on tv, is a good movie with a message that’s also god. Well made movie, and touches all the right chords without being senti. Man, I don’t know if I should be embarrassed or proud (metrosexually speaking) but the yeh tara who tara number in the film made me all misty-eyed.

Anyway, what should I use to download songs and videos? I’m told emule is good, but slow and kazaa has too much spyware and whatnot.

For people like me, the net lives up to its name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home