Friday, January 12, 2007

Scarlett (22 June 1994 - 10 January 2007)

Somebody said about their dog, "You taught us to love", i don't want to repeat it, but it is so fitting.

My beloved Scarlett passed away on the 10 of January. It is a hole in my life that may never get filled, and i hope it doesn't. I will always keep a space for her to come and settle when she wants.

Her traces that reman on all of our collective existence will take long before we can accept things. The sound of her long nails around the corners, the hair on our clothes, the food scattered around her bowl, her poo and pee in sundry places, and her pride of place on all the beds and sofas in the house.

And she was extraordinary in that nobody who knew her ever could dislike her or help loving her for she had sucha perennial flow of warmth and affection as was hard for any of us to ever understand.

We were each others constant companion for many stretches this past year, and remained so till the end. It is only now that i felt truly alone in my house despite the rest of my family being elsewhere for a long while even before this. If anyone would ever say: "Oh, so you're staying alone now", i would never think twice before clarifying that, "I have Scarlett with me".

Nobody ever got her name right, maybe she was never meant to be common, she was truly extraordinary for me.

She's taken her place alongside my grandmother (Didu) as my guiding and ever-watchful stars for life ahead.
Her memory i will always try to keep alive by now treating all animals (and humans, those few who truly are divine as animals) like Scarlett and in her memory forever try and ease any others' treacherous way through an otherwise lonely life.

Scarlett -
Beautiful and loving;
You taught us so much
About being better humans.
Look after me, Scarlett. Good girl.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vikas said...

Hi Sumit...sorry to hear that scarlett is no more among us...its been time wen i last met her but i can still remember her playful nature...her lovely dark orange coat of hair...

10:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Look after you,she will, as I distinctly remember her on her last night dragging herself slowly towards you & softly rubbing her nose with yours,while you slept peacefully, as if to reassure you of her ever lasting presence & as if she was bonding with you for ever.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home