Thursday, October 13, 2005

Nobel Announcement

I’m really waiting for this year’s Nobel Literature announcement.

Oh hey wait, its been announced. It is Harold Pinter.

Mighty interesting for me, I must say. See if you have seen my earlier posts you will see I am discovering a nascent interest in theatre, and so this announcement is some kind of divine approval. Let me look up some information on Pinter.

Born 10 October 1930 in East London, playwright, director, actor, poet and political activist.

Pinter has written twenty-nine plays including The Birthday Party, The Caretaker, The Homecoming, and Betrayal, twenty-one screenplays including The Servant, The Go-Between and The French Lieutenant's Woman, and directed twenty-seven theatre productions, including James Joyce's Exiles, David Mamet's Oleanna, seven plays by Simon Gray and many of his own plays including his latest, Celebration, paired with his first, The Room at The Almeida Theatre, London in the spring of 2000.

He has been awarded the Shakespeare Prize (Hamburg), the European Prize for Literature (Vienna), the Pirandello Prize (Palermo), the David Cohen British Literature Prize, the Laurence Olivier Award and the Moliere D'Honneur for lifetime achievement. In 1999 he was made a Companion of Literature by the Royal Society of Literature. He has received honorary degrees from fourteen universities.

Pinter's interest in politics is a very public one. Over the years he has spoken out forcefully about the abuse of state power around the world, including, recently, NATO's bombing of Serbia. His most recent speech was given on the anniversary of NATO'S bombing of Serbia at the Committee for Peace in the Balkans Conference, at The Conway Hall June 10th 2000.

So now I know who it is that I will follow when I get the time. I am at a precarious situation where I have a resurgence of interest and will for reading, the loss of which I have been grappling with, and ironically now is the time that I need to focus my energies elsewhere, namely CAT. Alas… Even right now I have to divide myself between writing 2 tutorial papers for college by Monday and finish a sizeable chunk of maths course also. Uptil now I have been favouring the latter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Somehow the conversation at a friend's place yesterday turned to the current year's Nobel Prize winner for Literature. I was the only one who knew the name!! I owe you one :)

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home