Monday, August 15, 2005

Jai Hind...Happy 15th August

58 years old as the world's largest democracy. Sometimes I wonder if that’s a mistake. Power in all hands equals insufficient power in most hands. Blasphemous, it is, but truth be told, we as a people cannot take right decisions. Why else would labourers have 5 kids and drink?

Anyway, I hope you watched Swades. It sends out the right kind of message. This movie did badly, people thought it was too preachy. Maybe they missed the swa- part of swades. I watched Lakshya myself. Good film. Made me want to become an Army man, but I decided to find other ways to serve the country. I will donate to animal shelters and help villages and adopt a child.

The streets are deserted today. But while walking Scarlett (my lovely Irish-Setter) I saw some people who may never truly know life and may never be able to day Happy Independence Day. It was a man pushing along a “Machine ka thanda pani” cart helped by a 6-7 years old boy, with his wife walking behind, and a 4-5 year old daughter sleeping on top of the cart, which was rumbling like an earthquake. What day is today for them? A day when deserted streets mean lesser earnings. How happy is that? This is the shape of their tryst with destiny. This is their Swades.

What will we do for them? Help me out, what can we do? How can a nation of a billion sustain itself? China can, why can’t we? Will my writing this help?

Will I help?

I saw kites in the air. I saw blue and white. I saw the family on the street. And now I see this screen. But I don’t see the future, and I don’t know where I figure in it. Why should people remember me for other than family ties? What will I do that makes me worth a second thought?

Enough of that. My brother passed through Delhi on the way back fro Tokyo (am I the last one to realize that Tokyo is syllable-wise the reverse of Kyoto the old capital of Japan). He and my sis-in-law are going away to Manila for a couple of years. So I saw them for the last time today and, in case of my sis-in-law, Friday. Hope it’s a good place - Manila.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home