Monday, October 03, 2005

Run Sumit, Run

I went jogging today. I figured I was putting on a bit too much weight around the middle, top and bottom everything. I have a 2-week break now and I wanted to make the most of it. See I walk enough through the year, and for some decent results in 15 days I needed to run. So I ran barely a couple of hundred metres or so and I was nauseous.

Man, am I that out of shape? Made me quite upset, but even more so thinking that there are millions of others who can’t even do this (I hope) and that’s bad news for all of us. Shape up People.

Well anyway, I’m reading a play called A Doll’s House by a Scandanavian playwright Henrik Ibsen. Its nice thus far. Actually I have another of his plays in my syllabus so I’m doing a bit og background.

I realized that drama interests me. It seems to be very deceptive in its methods and that makes it all the more pleasurable to unravel. There is a story behind every story ever written, but with drama played out in front of you it becomes more real. Gestures, words, dialogues, monologues, all take on a front which is entertaining and carry with it ideas and profoundities of everyday life. Although we study Modren European Drama, but I want to branch out in due time. I purchased, yesterday, a book called Three Modern Indian Plays – Tughlaq by Girish Karnad, Evan Indrajit by Badal Sircar and Silence! The Court is in Session by Vijay Tendulkar; all possibly among the most famous of Indian Theatre today.

And as Jean Genet has said somewhere, “tragedy is to be lived” – mine lies in the fact that I am yet to see a stage production.